Friday, February 11, 2011

Privacy Settings

There are certain things that should not be shared over social networks.  Whether its personal information such as phone numbers, home mailing adresses, or your social security number.  Although most people are aware of this, some are slightly ignorant of the fact that there are people in today's society who will feed off your personal information and make your life a living hell. The majority of social networking sites today have an extensive list of privacy settings that can assist with this. The video below explains the importance of keeping YOUR information to YOURSELF!



Although social networks can increase your "circle of friends" in can also invite people with less than friendly intentions.  OnGuard Online is a website that also describes the negative aspects of social media and the people that are looking to do more than be your "Friend".

As i've stated in my previous blog's, there are many reasons that we shouldn't share personal information with people.  We should also beware of who we add as friends on these networks.  Employers and college professors should be on the DON'T ADD list, for several reasons.  Becoming friends with professors could have a negative affect on your college career.  They may see pictures of you participating in extracurriculars such as drinking, which will give them a negative perception.  Same goes for employers, it's no secret that employers will look at your profile to find out what kind of person you are.


3 comments:

  1. This blog post brings up some interesting ideas for all social networking users. I have a few ideas for you for your next blog. I think you should talk about Facebook as a hub for businesses. You can talk about the benefits of having your business listed on Facebook.

    Just a couple things that I think may help you. I felt like this post was kind of short, and sort of left me hanging. Make sure you follow full circle with your ideas and your writing. I thought what you wrote was great but that you really could have expanded even more on the topic.

    Also make sure you are using other sources to help back up your writing and make you more credible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ll start by saying I hope I never get into trouble by sharing too much information online. I consider myself pretty smart about who I share things with. I don’t post critical info where it doesn’t need to be. So whenever I hear that 1.7 million people are affected by identity theft on social networking sites I’m like, “what the heck are these people sharing online!?” I really liked the video you found. It was very informative and had a cool visual way of showing statistics on Facebook privacy settings. I agree with you DON’T ADD list as I don’t believe you should add future employers and current professors when you are a 21 year old college student. They might perceive that you are unreliable or unprepared if they say your status updates and pictures because nobody posts photos of study groups, they’re always of social gatherings. I didn’t really get the picture at the end. Maybe you could put a caption on it or something.
    Few grammar errors: it’s vs. its, it vs. in, blogs vs. blog’s. Really minor stuff just thought it’d help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Wade,

    Great topic this week! I checked into the site you hyperlinked into you blog, and noticed it was a government webpage, and had heaps of helpful links to information for parents and others at the end. I enjoyed the video, but your blog didn't seem to have many facts to beef up your blog entry. I would suggest more research into the subject to add some credibility to your blog. We all know that privacy settings are important, but you need to present facts to motivate the readers to action. When you say that "employer's should be on your "do not add" list for several reasons" you might want to list a few, or give some examples of people who have lost jobs due to inappropriate content on their profiles. Great job I look forward to reading more.
    *PS: sorry this blog is a little late, I wrote some feedback for you last week but it disappeared, I apologize that you didn't get this feedback on time.

    ReplyDelete